Thursday, June 25, 2009

A vacation?

I feel like I haven't been home much lately but I can't quite say we went on a vacation. Most of my days have been spent out at my parents house. I've helped my mom with a couple weddings. It has been such a fun little job for me. I love helping with weddings. Brides are always so beautiful and it's such a fun occasion. Our latest wedding of Ashley and Jimmy... She was absolutely breathtaking. I've been helping my mom narrow down pictures from the weddings and play in photoshop with a few of the pictures. So much fun and something I could (and do) spend HOURS doing.

Then last week my brother Tim was at football camp at BYU so my mom thought it would be fun to paint and redo his room to look like a boys room. Tim's room was my old room. I only lived in that room for two years of high school and a couple summers during college but my Barbies have been well displayed on the shelves since we moved into that house in 1996. The room was vacant for many years once Jenn and I got married, over 7 years ago, but would see visitors during the holidays and on occasion during the summer visits. I'm not sure why it took so long, but finally Kevin moved into that room. He didn't complain about the Barbies. He said he didn't care since he didn't spend much time in the room anyway. I didn't know where I would put all of my Barbies so if he was okay with them in the room on the shelves, then I was okay. When Kevin left on his mission Tim moved into that room. He too said he wasn't bothered by the Barbies...for the same reason. The time he spent in that room he was usually sleeping so it didn't matter. It was time to update the look though, so we spent MANY hours on several days cleaning, organizing, dusting, painting, etc. Talmage was so good to help us. It was much easier and faster for he and my dad to move the furniture than my mom and I. The room looks great! I don't have pictures, but it looks good. The Barbies finally came down and have found a nice temporary place in our garage. We also cleaned out the boys' old room. I wish I would have counted but I'm pretty sure I found:
30 pocket knives
5 lighters
2 bottles of lighter fluid
2 sets of walkie-talkies
interesting samples of welded metal
a few wooden projects like a birdhouse and a tool box
a pellet gun
two other guns
an old little skateboard
candy (still in the wrapper)
wrappers (without the candy)
5 socks that didn't have a mate
BYU meal cards from Football camp last year and the year before
3 Cub Scout books (I only have 2 brothers)
and that's just naming what I could remember...
First of all...it's amazing the house didn't burn down. But what a contrast between the "Barbie" room and the "BOY" room. So much to look forward to with boys. I have a feeling my boys will be a little different than my brothers. Fast forward 12-14 years...what will I find in my boys' room???

1 comment:

the Bachlers said...

OK, now that you posted the update on the "barbie" room, you can still post pics. Whew, what a potporie of items found. I think it would be fun to help your mom with wedding photos, too.