Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to school...or not

Grant asked me almost every day last week if it was Monday yet. He's been anxious to go back to school, which I'm glad about. I don't remember ever being excited to go back to school after Christmas...but maybe I was. However, there's no back to school for Grant this morning. He came into our room around 1:00 this morning with a fever. I made him a little bed at the foot of our bed and gave him some tylenol. He's been asleep ever since. Then Kenzie came in around 4:00 and had a fever also. How disappointing to miss school on the first day back...and it's the first day of kindergarten he has missed.


I was one who never liked missing school. I remember feeling sick when I was in the third grade but I didn't want to go to the nurse and have to go home. I finally went home when I got sick after lunch. Then again in the 7th grade I remember feeling terrible all day. I never went home.


So when it comes to Grant, there's part of me that thinks I should wake him up and see how he feels and maybe he can go to school a little late, but then I remind myself that he needs the sleep and it will be just fine for him to miss one day of school. I worried Grant would have a hard time waking up in the morning for school so we made sure to get them to bed earlier on Saturday and Sunday night. My kids rarely slept in past 8:00 during Christmas break so for them to still be asleep now gives me this opportunity for a few minutes of quiet time. I should enjoy the silence and get as much done as I can.

No comments: