Saturday, May 9, 2009

Whose idea was this?

Most people that know Talmage know he is very involved in Scouting. I am very aware that it runs in the blood. Talmage and his six brothers are Eagle Scouts. His sister could practically consider herself an Eagle Scout being that she was not only involved with her brothers but she also worked for the Boy Scouts as a profession. His dad currently works for the Boy Scouts in Seattle. His mom is an incredible support to her husband as well as amazingly involved in the scouting program wherever they have lived. Talmage's uncles and grandfather are and were dedicated to this great program. Of course there are times when I get a little jealous that scouting gets more attention than I do, but I know Talmage is great at what he does and he truly believes in the scouting program. This weekend he is taking part in the second half of WoodBadge training. No, not as a participant...he's done that already. He's there on staff. The (sorry to say) few times that I join him for scouting events I always hear how GREAT he is. That he's a NATURAL. That he is so INSPIRING. That he does an INCREDIBLE job teaching. I know all of those things and it's nice to hear it. I've only met other great people when I join him on those occasions.
But all of the nice things aside...Whose idea was it to have PATCHES for everything?! I am not completely incompetent when it comes to sewing. Not to say I'm good at it or that I do it very often. But I've sewn a few things in my lifetime. Nothing worthy of a blue ribbon at the fair. Probably not even worthy of a PINK ribbon (which I looked up is 5th place). BUT I know how to use a sewing machine and I know how to use a needle and thread. Why is it that I just DO NOT like sewing patches on?! For those who have tried and feel as I do, understand that those little patches are hard to hold in place and stitch on STRAIGHT. Luckily for me, the last time Talmage needed patches sewn on his mom conveniently came for a visit. I was excited she was coming to visit but I admit I was thrilled I wouldn't have to sew those little things on. In fact I remember trying to wake up one morning and as soon as I realized she would be able to sew them on I practically jumped out of bed to go tell Talmage my genius revelation.

Talmage left early Friday morning for WoodBadge and unfortunately he has a patch that hasn't been sewn on his shirt. He actually tried to do it the other day since he knows how little I enjoy that task, but I think he decided he didn't NEED it on quite yet. I think he's actually sewn one or two on his shirt but when I see him working on it I feel bad and feel that it's a WIFE thing to do so I break down and do it. I've told my mother-in-law that I'll just mail it to her, but how practical is that... If there is anyone (local) who just REALLY loves to sew patches on...let me know.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Kelly! They make iron on patches! You can get them at the BSA office! My mom figured that out awhile ago. Probably not as many as Talmage needs....but its worth looking into!

Kelly said...

GOOD TO KNOW!! I will check into it.

Da Dandy Davis' said...

Don't do the iron on patches! They work or they don't. We used them on Daniel's arrowpoints and badges for cub scouting, but after several washings, the edges started to curl. They stayed on, but didn't look smooth and nice. It you have to sew over the ironed on patch, it gums up the needle and is a nightmare to sew. Try stapling the middle of the patch to the shirt to hold it in place while you sew. The staple is easy to remove.