Friday, November 30, 2012

Has it really been a year?

 I don't know how that happens. 

A year?

It's hard to go back and remember all of the exciting and not so exciting events that have shaped me; shaped my family. 

I count my blessings.  I know we are tremendously blessed.

Talmage has a great job. 

 He is GREAT at his job.  I know it's hard to be on such a negative side of education.  Dealing with the students that really don't care to be there or dealing with students that come from families that really don't care where they are is never easy.  Sometimes there are days Talmage misses the ease of the classroom.  He was able to get so much more done...he had a prep period.  He has been working on his thesis for a year now?  With all of his extra responsibilities it's hard to find time.  He has had to cut back on a few things just because he really can't do everything.  He is still volunteering with scouting quite a bit but I notice that is where he has had to cut back the most.  Talmage was recently serving as a counselor in the Stake Young Mens until just recently he was called to serve as the president in the Stake Young Mens.  He is so good at working with the youth.  In his job.  In his calling. 


The kids are busy, happy, and healthy. 

Grant started the 4th grade this year.  SO hard to believe!  I remember 4th grade too well to have a child that old.  He LOVES to read.  I enjoy the evenings when I have the opportunity to read to each of my kids, including Grant.  I'm glad he still loves to have me read to him.  Grant does NOT like missing a day of school.  He was feeling miserable the week before Thanksgiving but each time I asked if he would like to stay home he said he felt fine.  One day when he got home from school I took his temperature and it was 102.8.  CRAZY kid!!  I felt so bad.  He had been feeling not very well for about a week so I finally took him to the doctor.  Strep throat!  Problem is...I know exactly how he feels not wanting to miss a day of school.  I never wanted to miss school.

Mackenzie is getting much better with reading and working hard in school.  Her teacher, Mrs. Harris, commented on how she holds her own with the kids.  If there is a kid at her table goofing off she won't stand for it.  Mrs. Harris said she could tell Mackenzie has brothers, she's just tough, but oh so sweet and motherly.  She is small but I'm glad she can be tough.

Tyler....Tyler. Tyler. Tyler.  Oh what fun he is to have in our family.  He is the child I never was.  Pretty much I would think he's close to the opposite of how I was except for the fact that he is still very sweet.  He played his first year of soccer and was the youngest on his team but one of the toughest!  I think this kid is made for more contact sports that soccer.  Too many times I heard the other kids telling their parents that Tyler pushed them.  One time Tyler tripped over a kid's foot and while he was down he grabbed the ankle of that kid and wouldn't let go.  Tyler would enjoy practice so much he would often times just do somersaults right in the middle of their practice.  Twice the ref had to talk to him during the game for pushing kids down.  He scored a goal this year...for the opposing team.  The coaches and other parents did say Tyler was so fun to watch.  You never knew what he was going to do next.  He ran around the field like such a tough kid but usually only touched the ball when it happened to roll right as his feet.  I was happy watching him.  He's just fun.  Always a comic relief...sometimes when not needed.  I can't seem to discipline that kid without him smiling or giving me a silly look.  It's hard to be mad at him, especially when he comes up to me with a hug and kiss and tells me he loves me and likes me.  Somehow it's not enough to just tell me he loves me...he needs to tell me he likes me too.     

I feel like life stays quite busy for me.  Of course my wonderful job as a wife and mother keep me busy around the house and running kids to cub scouts, ballet, soccer, school, etc.  I was recently called to be the Primary President in our ward.  We have a small multitude of kids in our ward so that brings it's many joys and challenges.  I think it's safe to say there are 75 very active kids attending our primary.  We don't have many that are not active so it's wonderful.  I have super counselors and a secretary that without their help I would probably be lost.  All of the excitement with my new calling came right when we needed to prepare for the Primary Program and just a few weeks later a new Oakdale ward was created and I lost 12 of my leaders and teachers and only 5 primary kids.  It was a CRAZY time. 

Well...that's about all I can manage to get out right now...I'm worried if I write much more no one will want to keep reading.  I'll just have to write more often and keep updating for my own personal history and for those that care to come back for more.


2 comments:

Tanner & Jessica Allen said...

Kelly, I totally enjoyed reading your update! It was not too long at all! You guys always get my e-mails and I hope sometimes you skim through them because mine can be way longer ;) Fun to hear about the kids and especially Kenzie and how she is at school! We love your kids! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and enjoy your Christmas holidays!!

EmmyLou said...

Kelly! I was so excited to see you updated your blog! I loved reading about your family. You are such a great example to me and I forever and jealous of your gorgeous smile and contagious laugh. I miss being around you!